Home Brisbane Novel Coronavirus – Information for Students
International Students Australia Corona Virus

Australian Department of Home Affairs continues to process Student Visas during travel restrictions.

Department of Home Affairs brings international students answers to frequently asked questions regarding the coronavirus situation. For general FAQs from Study Anywhere regarding studying in Australia please follow this link. If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to contact us.

What do I do if I am unable to return to Australia to continue or commence my study due to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) travel restrictions?

You should contact your education provider to discuss possible deferment of studies and other issues relating to your study, should you be unable to return to Australia to continue your study at this time. If you require additional time to complete your studies (beyond your visa expiry date) you will need to apply for a new student visa with a new Confirmation of Enrolment through your nominated provider. You should apply for a new visa around six weeks prior to your current visa expiring. You are encouraged to speak with your education provider and check the Department’s website. Prospective students need to check Australian Government travel advice before applying.

If I am currently in mainland China and have a valid visa, can I still come?

Students will only be allowed to enter Australia if they have been outside China for more than 14 consecutive days prior to travelling to Australia or once travel restrictions are lifted. Limited exemptions apply for Year 11 and 12 students

Can I transit through another country from China?

If you attempt to travel to Australia from mainland China within 14 days of your departure, either directly or by transiting through another country your airline will not allow you to board the flight. If you do arrive in Australia and it is determined you were in mainland China within the relevant period, your visa will be cancelled and you may be placed in an alternative place of detention for a quarantine period. The Department of Home Affairs does not recommend transiting through another country prior to arrival in Australia, as travel restrictions for countries (including Australia), may change without notice.

I want to lodge a visa application for study in Australia.

Students can apply online. Student visas continue to be processed by the Department of Home affairs during these travel restrictions.

A note from Study Anywhere: You can also contact us if you need help with your enrolment and assistance with your Student Visa from a registered migration agent.

I am in Australia and my student visa is expiring, can I get an extension?

Student visas cannot be extended. There are a number of visa pathways open for student visa holders to remain in Australia (including applying for another new student visa or a visitor visa), provided you meet all necessary visa requirements. More information can be found here.

I am on a Bridging Visa in China awaiting a decision on my visa application – what should I do?

Do not attempt to travel to Australia. Bridging visas are not able to be granted if you are outside Australia. If your Bridging visa expires and you are outside Australia, you will need to apply for another visa once the travel restrictions have been lifted. If your bridging visa is expiring, and you are outside Australia and you have applied for a visa that can only be granted while you are in Australia (such as a subclass 485 Temporary Graduate visa), you will need to apply for a new visa that enables travel to Australia once travel restrictions lift. Please continue to check the Department’s website for updated advice on arrangements

Will the travel restrictions affect eligibility to meet the Australian study requirement or additional periods of stay under the regional initiatives for Temporary Graduate visa holders and others?

The Department will consider possible future concessions on a case-by-case basis.

I cannot access VEVO. What should I do?

If you are outside Australia and subject to the travel restrictions, you may be unable to use VEVO. Visa holders can continue to access their visa grant letter and visa conditions, online via their personal ImmiAccount.

A note from Study Anywhere: You can also contact us if you need help from a registered migration agent.

Where can I get further information on study options and assistance?

In the first instance, you should contact your education provider for assistance and information regarding your studies. You should read the Australian Government’s Department of Education, Skills and Employment’s website for regularly updated factsheets in both English and Mandarin. You may also wish to visit Study Australia’s website for more information on support services available to international students. You should contact the Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs if you still have questions about your visa via the online enquiry form.

A note from Study Anywhere: For general questions about studying in Australia you can also check our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us if you need more information on study options.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

for $5,600
per year

The price includes one year of tuition fees and Student visa assistance from a registered migration agent. Valid until June 30, 2024.