Here are the most recent updates regarding Student Visa in Australia. Borders are still closed, but there is some good news for international students. Did you know that some students will not have to pay for their next visa application?
Australian Government is making several visa changes in order to help international students who are planning to study in Australia and those who already have their Student Visas, but their studies are impacted by the pandemic:
- The Government will recommence granting student visas in all locations lodged outside Australia. This means when borders re-open, students will already have visas and be able to make arrangements to travel.
- International students will be able to lodge a further student visa application free of charge if they are unable to complete their studies within their original visa validity due to COVID-19.
- Student visa holders studying online outside Australia due to COVID-19 will be able to use that study to count towards the Australian study requirement for a post-study work visa.
- Graduates who held a student visa will be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa outside Australia if they are unable to return due to COVID-19.
- Additional time will be given for applicants to provide English language results where COVID-19 has disrupted access to these services.
What should you do?
These are welcomed changes, especially for those of you who already have their Student Visas. E.g. if you were on holidays in your home country when the borders got shut and you were unable to return to Australia. The real change for all new offshore applicants will be when the travel ban gets lifted.
Until then we recommend our offshore clients to just enrol (for as little as $250 AUD) and wait with their visa application until the borders are re-opened. If this is your case, let us know and we can help you to find the right course. This way you don’t miss out on the current course promotions without having to pay the Student Visa fee until you are sure you can come to Australia. Schools were forced to temporarily lower their tuition fees due to the pandemic so why not take advantage of it?
Are in Australia at the moment and your current visa (e.g. a Working Holiday Visa) is expiring soon? There are no major changes for you and you will need to apply for a new visa. Despite the current situation, most of our onshore clients usually get their Student Visas granted very quickly. Feel free to request a quote from Study Anywhere and we can help you to move to a Student Visa or to renew your current Student Visa.
New visa options for Hong Kong citizens
Australia is also starting to offer several visa options for Hongkongers because of the escalated situation between mainland China and Hong Kong. The main change for students is perhaps the longer duration of the Graduate Visa. Students from Hong Kong will now be able to get 5 years of Graduate Visa (instead of 18 or 24 months). Feel free to contact us if you are interested in studying a course eligible for the Graduate Visa.
Do you have any questions about the Australian Student Visa? Check out Frequently Asked Questions.