Home Explore Can International Students Get an RSA Certificate or Not?

Can International Students Get an RSA Certificate or Not?

If you want to work in the hospitality industry while studying in Australia, your employer will likely ask you for an RSA certificate. But are you eligible to get one?

RSA or Responsible Service of Alcohol is a certificate that can greatly improve your chances of scoring a job in a bar or in a restaurant in Australia. You will need it in order to sell, serve, or supply alcohol in any workplace in NSW. If you have never heard of it, you should check out our blog article, where you can find out why you need it and how it can boost your resume and help you to stand out from the crowd.

Now, there is one thing that has many students wondering and we often receive questions about it: Can you actually apply for an RSA certificate when you are holding a Student Visa in Australia? This is a legit question because as an overseas student in Australia, you can’t study any course – not even on the side while studying the main course your visa was granted for.

According to the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA), an exception for overseas students to undertake additional study (a course or training), however, is only with a provider (school) registered on CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students) that provides a course at a location (face-to-face training only).

So the answer is – yes, you can get your RSA certificate as an international student in Australia, however, you will have to take it on campus (not online) and with a CRICOS registered school. This will narrow your options quite significantly, but we can help.

How to apply?

If you would like to take the RSA course in Sydney, we recommend you Kenvale College of Hospitality, Cookery & Events. The cost is $150 and the course runs usually on Saturdays from 9am – 4:30pm. All attendees will be issued a Nationally Recognised Statement of Attainment, Liquor & Gaming NSW Interim RSA Certificate, and can apply for the RSA Competency Card (by OLGR NSW) at any Service NSW branches. The course fee already includes the cost of your NSW competency card that is valid for 5 years.

Apply here for the RSA at Kenvale College. Next available session in Sydney: 25th of September 2021.

Queensland (Imagine Education): Check the availability and apply here for eligible RSA courses for international students on the Gold Coast.

For RSA courses in other Australian cities, please contact us.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

for $5,600
per year

The price includes one year of tuition fees and Student visa assistance from a registered migration agent. Valid until June 30, 2024.